11.05.2005

IV's ARE FANTASTIC

So I started writing this post and then I lost it. So here's the short version.

I'm sick as a dog. Extremely sick. So sick that I was in the Emergency Room yesterday. Nothing to worry about. I was just desperate for medical attention. After spending an hour with every doctor in my network in Buffalo, no one could see me. So I called the insurance company who said to go to the ER. So to the ER I went.

After much waiting, they finally saw me. See, I was not only feverish, I was achy, I was sweating, I had the chills, I couldn't swallow, I was breathing shallow, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I knew I had white spots on the throat that doesn't go away with rest alone, needs medical attention, I hadn't eaten for over 24 hours, and I was starting to have trouble swallowing water because my throat and glands were so swollen.

Enough to warrant an ER visit, I feel. So did the doctors.

By the time they saw me, my blood pressure had dropped. My heartrate was accelerated. I was dehydrated. Any longer, they suspect I would have gone into septic shock - after at least another few hours, of course, but it's a good thing I went in, they said.

So they worked quickly. They stabalized my fever, gave me steroids to undo the swelling in my throat, they hooked me up to two ivs to replace my lost fluid and slow my heart rate. It also stabilized my blood pressure. I immediately started to feel better. The pressure on my head went far away. I was able to swallow again. In fact, my mother and I went to get food afterwards because I needed it. A good sign.

So in the meantime, I am resting. And with everyone at work telling me to get my strength back. It does me or the campaign no good to continue being sick. And I certainly wouldn't want to infect anyone. It's just nice because it's been so long since I've had a bacterial infection, I forgot antibiotics work. I've had viral infections every time I've been sick in the past five years or so that all I can do is rest. So it's nice knowing that I can be better with a few pills. Seriously.

Back to rest. And work from the hotel. I find that I'm catching up on a lot of things - there's only so much sleep one can take in a day. Especially me. In the meantime, I've added yet another new link to the left - Deviation by a brilliant mind - my friend and yours, the brilliant mindy. a beers. So take a look around. Check it out.

And take care of yourselves. And each other.

No comments: