1.27.2005

I've been listening to a lot of classical music lately.

For a month, So Young and I turned on the radio when we were remodeling the house. P.S. when I say remodeling, I mean taking down old tacky wallpaper and painting the drywall as well as some much-needed weeding, cleaning, and tidying up.

Anyhoo.

In the month I turned on the radio, while I enjoy the small satisfaction some of the music brings in my being able to sing along to a jangle or two, I remembered why I turned it off for so long in the first place. For starters, I think I heard the same Top 40 songs over and over again at least 5 times in a three hour period. And Jesus, after a while, it all starts to sound the same.

What happened to music?

It's crap now. There are a few musicians who play on the radio (constantly) that do stand out, but seriously, I wonder where it's all going.

Heather made me think of this. She listed her favorite cds on her blog recently (check out the link on the right) and she has some fabulous taste in music. And so I started thinking what I tend to turn to a lot lately.

Sure, I go through phases. There's the Ani DiFranco phase where I just have her on a loop for about a month or so. Dar is intermixed in there with the Indigo Girls. Perhaps those are my "chick" moments, though I hate categorizing it like that.

Of course, there's the Dave phase where I have to listen to every DMB cd I own at least once or thrice - maybe six times a year.

There's the oldies stretch where I listen to Elvis and the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel like my life depended on it.

There's the hippie stretch where I put on Phish and the Dead and even twirl around to some Doors, though I wouldn't normally put them there.

There's the ocassional Shake Yo Ass phase where I want dance music and rap. Those are few and far between - though I find I need them on long car drives to break it up.

And there's the Garth and Dixie Chicks "gettin back to my college days" on those moments I feel sentimental or need a good holler.

But when I need to ponder, when I need something to refresh my palatte, musically, if you will, I turn to the great wisemen of all time: Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, and Brahms.

I can't explain it. Well, I know that my the first thing I ever loved in this world that wasn't my family was music. It's hard for me to place my first memory but the first one that stands out is being introduced to my violin at the tender age of 3. The world of music was, and still is, a haven to me. So I suppose it makes sense that I go back to it peridically.

I miss playing in a band. I miss playing in an orchestra even more. I was so excited when I started playing with the Lawyer's Orchestra. It was as if I had found my very first friend all over again. Discovered it, actually.

So my respite from the crap coming out of the radio has been to dust off the old tapes and cds and give 'em a spin. I find it so good for my soul.

I've had to explain to many before that it is very difficult for me to work while I listen to classical music. Unlike others who prefer to have it on while they work, if I have played it, I get caught up in it. I find myself pausing to listen more than I would if something else were on. I have this incessant need to break it all apart, hear each note and instrument individually and then listen to it as a whole. And since I need time to do that, since my life seems to be incessant with motion, it's a good thing that I am listening to my old friends again. Because it means that I have slowed down, albeit temporarily. I can wax brilliant about the music, but I think I'll just let it speak for myself.

Music, I have found, is a wonderful gift to give and share. Many who know me and my musical history ask me what is good classical music to listen to - especially if they are just turning their ears to it for the first time.

So for those of you out there that are curious about classical but never got into it and even for those of you who are seasoned enough to know who Paganini and Albinoni are, here is a list for you to peruse. That is, if anyone besides four people I know read this.

Here goes. I've made this an abbreviated list, we could go on for days here otherwise. So it's a starting list, starting with the greatest.

Keeza's Top Ten Classical Picks for the Discerning Ear (and some composers have two , deal with it):

1. BEETHOVEN - SEVENTH SYMPHONY, SECOND MOVEMENT. He is my favorite and I wouldn't be offsides if I told you I thought he was God. Sure, everyone knows the famous notes of the 5th Symphony and the 9th. But how many actually have taken the time to listen to this particular movement of his symphonies? I swear to you, this is a masterpiece. Absolutely haunting and beautiful. Actually, ANYTHING by Beethoven is alright and genius to me - but if I had to pick a favorite, this is it. PIANO CONCERTO #1 is brilliant, too.

2. BACH - CELLO SUITE #1 IN G MAJOR & AIR ON A G STRING. You've heard them before. I'm actually not a big Bach fan since I find him repetitive and boring, though I appreciate what he did for music. But these two are genius. Brilliant.

3. BORODIN - POLOVITSIAN DANCES. You - or your parents - might recall "Stranger in Paradise". The theme is from here.

4. RIMSKY KORSAKOV - CAPRICCIO ESPAGNOL. Fierce.

5. DVORAK - NEW WORLD SYMPHONY & "THE AMERICAN" QUARTET. Dvorak came from Czechoslovakia to the United States in the 1800's and is the first of the European greats to bring "American" music to the old world. But this is fantastic music, nonetheless.

6. BERNSTEIN - OVERTURE TO CANDIDE. Bernstein was the man. This is awesome.

7. HOLST - ST. PAUL'S SUITE. Chamber music at it's finest.

8. COPLAND - RODEO. Beef, it's what's for dinner. Or fabulous music.

9. STRAVINSKY - THE FIREBIRD SUITE. Bercuse and Finale. That's all I have to say. It will blow you away.

10. TCHAIKOVSKY - ROMEO AND JULIET. Tchaikovsky was a mad genius and we are all the better for it. You will recognize the "love"theme. This is brilliance at it's best.

Perhaps soon I will scribe my favorite violin solos of all time, but for now, let's deal with this. I realize that Vivialdi was left out, but I'll get him next round.

When I need comfort music, I reach for this. Explore this world if you can. It's the music that has lasted generations. It is the base of music today. You might not be fully aware of how, but this was the heartbeat of music. I hope you will at least listen to one thing on this list. Trust me, you'll enjoy it. Hell, go for all 10. I've got copies of 'em all, if you wanna hear. You'll be happy you did.

AND, you'd get some serious culture. Who can go wrong with that?

No comments: