6.21.2002

Now, you're on a bus in Manhattan traffic and the bus driver is darting in between cars and other buses, honking loudly, coming to hard stops, and scaring the holy hell out of you. You happen to notice that the driver is not wearing a seatbelt.

Am I supposed to feel safe because the driver obviously thinks that he's driving safely enough not to warrant a seatbelt?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I had no choice. I needed to get to 91st between 2nd and 1st and the subway stop as 96th and Lexington - a full five blocks and two avenue blocks away from my destination.

I thought about transferring buses, but then I stopped.

The point of this? I don't know. Other than the fact that if people thought subways were scary - oh no, try the bus.

And if you are about to get on the bus or the subway - please, dear God, please - have your metrocard ready. It's a freakin' pain in the ass to either have to wait for you to swipe or drop the card. For chrissakes, the rest of us do it.

Oh, and if you're leaving the subway and you see someone trying to swipe their metrocard before the train leaves - let them through. They gotta get to where they are going, too.

Sorry. Bad commute today. Oy.

No comments: