5.13.2016

Back to Manila

We woke to wonderfully perfect weather in Baguio – probably about 70 degrees with lovely breezes.  When you don’t need air conditioning in the Philippines, you know you’re in a nice spot. I can totally understand why the Japanese and the Americans decided it was a good spot for a country club and golf course.



We were not planning on spending too much time there, so we barely had time to look around. We’re just going to have to come back, we decided.

Before leaving, I did get word that some Hamilton tickets were made available from November-January, so I spent my last moments in reliable wifi searching for tickets. Everything came up resale, though.  I presume that if I was at home, I would be pretty annoyed and frustrated. But, being on vacation in a really nice place, I just shrugged, turned off the computer and continued to vacation. 

I’m really going to hate leaving vacation.  I know. Everyone does.  I’ve decided that I need more of these. Honestly.

Anyway, before leaving, we were able to sneek a peek into the floral garden adjacent to the entrance.





As a note: Pete still hates selfies.  But we’re on vacation. So he’s trying to be a good sport.

So we started to make our way back down the mountain towards Manila.  Within a few miles down the mountain, the temperature noticeably shifted when we stopped to grab some vegetables from a roadside stand. But the views did not disappoint.




Four hours later, we knew we were getting closer because the traffic started. I know I mentioned before that traffic is pretty bad here.  We got a good taste of it last night. When I say it’s worse than DC and California, I mean combined.  We were stuck in enough traffic that when we arrived back at my Uncle’s in Manila, we immediately hopped into a different car – the biggest reason that I wanted us to leave Baguio early was because we were running out of time and the other most important reason I had come to the Philippines was to visit my stepfather’s grave. So off we went, figuring that we’d hit traffic again trying to get there and wanted to get there before the cemetery was closed off.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure cemeteries’ here close the way they do in the States.  Filipinos treat death so differently, with reverence, I suspect you can visit at any time.  Also, it appears that they are workout havens for Filipinos – the amount of joggers we saw as we got there was surprising, but not at the same time. I guess if there are few places where you can find light traffic roads, you use them like you would any park.  I wasn’t sure whether to be weirded out by it, but then I remembered things are just different here.  So often, cemeteries’ in the states are empty with very few visitors. I suppose a cemetery that is full of life to accompany the souls of the dead – knowing how they celebrate life and death here – just seems a bit more comforting. In a weird way.

Thankfully, my family was prepared for the visit to the cemetery, bringing the requisite food for the dead and candles to light. We didn’t spend too much time there, but it was enough time for the many emotions and thoughts to join us.  It has been 10 years and some change since my pop died.  And I can’t help but think of how different everything is without him. And surprised that whenever I am there, it feels like yesterday that he left. 

I suppose I’m still sorting through some of those thoughts and emotions so I’ll leave it with this: my family plot there is well placed in the sense that there is a really lovely tree that is next to it so there is some nice shade.  But I was struck last night at how tall it has become, which only signaled the amount of time I have been gone.


I sort of hate how far away this place is from me, that I have to travel half the world to go visit. But in a matter of 15 minutes, I realized it doesn’t matter where I am. I’m always here. I’m always going to miss him. And no amount of distance will fix that. 

And that tree just signified that I’ve gone too long from being home.  Message received, Universe.

I find myself sad to have one more day here. It has been a whirlwind trip. Pete put it best last night, “Next time, more staying, less traveling.”  Yep.  We’ll have to plan better next time.


And come in January when it’s much cooler.  One day left. 

No comments: