12.19.2005

CROUCHING CONCUBINE, HIDDEN GEISHA

I have finally moved into my apartment in Albany. I need to buy more surfaces before I can finish unpacking, but until then, at least I'm moved in.

But between wrestling with Ikea furniture with the help of one Mad Dog Darby, moving cartons, dealing with ridiculous amounts of packing paper, and trying desperatly not to get a cardboard cut, I've been reading Memoirs of a Geisha since I not only want to see the movie, but Walsh had told me years ago that it was her favorite book and I've been meaning to read it.

Plus, it's the only book not in a box right now. Right.

It really is quite a fabulous book. You learn so much about the Geisha and despite the story breezing through the second World War in Japan, it's still a great read.

But it's in Japan, right?

So doesn't anyone else find it funny that the main women in the movie will be played by Chinese women?

And basically the entire cast of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

I mean, I heart, HEART Michelle Yeoh. And Ziyi Zhang - I anticipate she will have learned English for this movie? Would be fun to see the two of them in a film again where they weren't trying to kill each other with strange weapons. And Ken Wantanabe! I'm very excited for this movie - and not only because it's another chance for a bunch of Asian actors (who are fantastic) to get together.

But let's call it what it is, shall we? I have always strove for proper and clear definitions (well, at least since I was a Coro). So let's call it what it is and give it a proper subtitle:

Memoirs of a Concubine: Adapted from Memoirs of a Geisha, but we couldn't find enough Japanese actors who could play the lead women roles.

Not as misleading and better, ethical marketing. As an Asian, I wouldn't be offended.

No comments: