7.09.2004

Because I always want to do what Michael wants me to do, here I am again. I will be back with more titallating commentary as usual, but back to the serious me.

I feel as if I am on the cusp of discovery.

Well, okay. Lemme explain that.

I'm in Syracuse (go Orange) for a conference. I know. The chances of going home for a conference are unlikely, but here I am. Whoop-whoop.

So I'm here, at the Summer Institute on Digital Impowerment at Syracuse University where we are exploring the internet and democracy and how the internet is a rapidly changing tool for civic engagement.

That was a long sentence.

But I've sat here all morning hearing about the phenomenon known as "bloggers".

Yes, that includes me. In the beginning, when I started this blog, it was a fairly new thing, but there were many of us. Now I am one in a million or five who has a blog.

So yes, I feel on the cusp of discovery, but not entirely since most of y'all have a blog. But I wanted to tell you that they have coined a phrase for us: "ONLINE POLITICAL CITIZENS".

There are a few myths perpetrating out there about us online political citizens. Around the boom of Dean, the nespapers called us:
o "True believers, the shock troops."
o "Legions of young, idealistic supporters."
o "Depression-era bonus armies."
o "Traveling Phish heads."

But we are, in fact:
o 62% male (author's note: I am a part of the 38% of the opposite gender)
o 59% have college degrees.
o 42% have incomes over $75,000 (author's note: I am not in this demographic)
o 36% are between 18-34
o 34% are single
o 86% are white (author's note: I am also not in this demographic).

Also, we:
o Are a mix of old and new activists.
o Are more likely to be Democrats than Republicans. 49% are democrats. 29% are Republicans.
o Are more likely to make a donation to their candidate, campaign, or political organization.

We also comprise about 10% of the population.

They say that we're becoming influential. That we are "influentials". We are four times more likely to be a part of a political organization, more likely to go to political events.

They say that we're becoming a new form of mass media. That though people may not always appreciate our views, but they will read us anyway. We also forward 60%-70% of the political email we receive.

My friends will tell you that their inboxes say that is just about right.

We are obviously engaged.

And though some of us may have a liking to Phish, the data shows that we are not "travelling Phish heads". And no, there is nothing wrong with that.

So apparently, we are on the cusp of something here, people. Keep it up. Maybe the more we hold them accountable, the better our democracy we'll have. Here's what they also say about us: “watchdogs of the mainstream press,” engaging in “a desperate attempt at free press,” and as “alternative voices in the wilderness.”

As Martha would say, that's a good thing.

Viva la resistance.


No comments: